The General Population
Women and children are the fastest growing homeless population:
- 80,000 people are homeless each night in Los Angeles County; 8,000 of which are pregnant women
- Families comprise 41% of the homeless population in Los Angeles; women and children are the fastest growing population of homeless people (15% in 1992, 34.1% in 1998, 40.5% in 2001).
- 30% to 50% of the homeless population are woman and girls.
- 63% of homeless mothers have been violently abused by an intimate male partner.
*Statistics published by the Institute for the study of Homelessness and Poverty at the Weingart Center.
Harvest Home receives over 500 calls per year from women seeking shelter and yet only 69 maternity beds are available to serve this unique population. Only 8 of those 69 beds are located in the city of LA, and they are available right here at Harvest Home. We can accommodate 8 women at a time – between 20 and 24 women each year. It is the only maternity home on the Westside serving the Greater Los Angeles area.
- Age 18 and over
- Pregnant (earlier than 32 weeks)
- Homeless or soon to be homeless
- Sober or on the path to sobriety
- No other children in her custody
- Motivated to participate in a supportive program and home environment
Harvest Home Residents
The Mamas: Harvest Home residents vary in age, ethnicity, life stage and experience. They are women no younger than age 18 through their 40’s, newly pregnant at 10 weeks to 32 weeks along. First time mothers to those actively parenting other children outside the home. Some with no education to others with college degrees; some with no work experience to former executive assistants. Some residents are actively pursuing sobriety or freedom from abuse, and healing from trauma or managing their mental health; others are deciding between various parenting options including adoption (closed, open, kinship). ALL are making brave choices to provide a safe, stable environment for themselves and their baby.
The Babies: Our smallest residents have ranged from preemies to twins and graduate from Harvest Home between 1 month to 6 months old, yet have come back to visit the home at age 20!
For more information:
If you’re interested in becoming a resident at Harvest Home, click HERE
If you were a former Harvest Home resident, get connected through our Alumnae Program